Monday, August 2, 2010

Concious Incompetance

I have previously made a post about this subject. Wendy explained it much better than I had heard before. It relates to where a user's level of competency lies within a subject, and whether they are are aware that they have no idea and are trying to learn, or think that they have a good grasp of something and are yet to be disillusioned.
An analagy given the other day was of a learner driver: They are extremely aware that they are practising the skills to become competent; the skills have not yet become natural (thus requiring little thought). Reflecting on my own use of technology, it becomes painfully obvious that I am fairly incompetent, and as an older user, the skills are harder to pick up. This is not ot say that I can't do it, rather, it may take me a bit longer to work out. Having done this course before, I can remember a fair few of the ideas discussed, and I have had the benefit of having an extended time to think about how I would use some of them. It has also given me a chance to discuss a variety of ideas with competent practising teachers, to see how they would work in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment