Monday, August 23, 2010


We're getting towards the end of this section of blogging, so now it is time to go back through them to make them more applicable to the task at hand. As this blog has now been going for over a year, it has given me plenty of time to reflect on the things I would use in a classroom. It has also given me lots of chances to talk to teachers about how the differnt technologies have been used in their classrooms. Many of them have given me very useful ideas to incorporate some of the things we have learned here. Most have come from teachers who have just started in the last few years, and reflects their experience with this new technology. Not all of them are necessarily young, but all have used technology in different careers. Some older teachers have shown a mistrust for this new stuff. As I am an older learner, this stuff does not come naturally to me. However, I can see that this is the way of the future, and when it is explained properly, it can be seen to allow some very powerful teaching/ learning. To this end, I have thought very hard about the things I will use, and some of my thinking may prove to be a bit out of the square. Never the less, I believe it can be used to gainfully engage a variety of learners. After re reading this several times, I still believe that it doesn't relect the amount of reflecting I have done on these topics. Bruce Lee suggested that in the study of martial arts, the student should take in what was apllicable to them, and ignore anything that wasn't. As I have had a couple of attempts at doing this course, I am well aware that there I may appear to have not grasped any of it. As I am a relatively deep thinker, it may be that my lack of essay writing ability could be holding me back. As with most Uni subjects, I would perform substantially better with an exam, rather than assignments. I suppose I will have to get used to this as it appears that this style of learning (and assessment) is the way things are headed.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Peter,
    Are you the fellow who studies English Curriculum with us. Thankyou for posting a comment to my Blog. I am still getting a hand of this and I also have to modify my blog and fix it up, add visuals etc. I think ICT's, technology is so fantastic. I am also of the more mature element of our course and the learning curve for E-Learning has been huge. Regarding your blog. I need to see more colour, pictures, more engaging stuff. I need to add this to my own blog as well. I know what I want - it just takes me such a long time to achieve the smallest bit. Bye Gem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Gema, that is me. Thanks for your comments. I find a lot of this stuff would be extremely engaging, but I wonder about its use in the classroom. It is all well and good to be engaged, but engaged with what? There has to be a learning outcome from it. A prime example of this would be Voki. Why bother? I do a fair bit of thinking outside the square, so I may come up with uses that were not intended for some of this stuff. In the mean time, I will try to make my blog look more exciting. Peter

    ReplyDelete